Sunday 1 April 2012

March!

So I gather I haven’t written about what I’ve been up to for a while now! March was a good month and my 7th full month in Uganda. I continued to work in the pre-school almost every morning.

On the 8th of march for international women’s day the females of the base took a trip out. We went to the kingfisher resort for the day and spent the day in and around the pool, it was so much fun teaching some of the African’s how to swim and playing with the young children who came so that their mothers could have a break! We shared a wonderful bring and share lunch which included pasta salad, amazing rice dishes, chapatti, mandazi’s and lots of yummy fruit!

The new DTS continued with their learning and we continued to get to know them more and show them around Jinja, we took a trip to the source of the Nile. I’m not going to lie there isn’t much to see except some bubbling water however it is something pretty crazy to say I’ve seen and I now want to go to the mouth of the Nile! It was a really fun day that we spent relaxing and laughing, it’s fun days like that which allow me to feel that not only am I serving here in Uganda but I am so blessed to have all these amazing tourist/cultural adventures as well!

Our ‘Big Sister’ Naomi surprised us when she returned from a medical visit back in England, me and Becca flew out of our chairs when she appeared at the dining table on Sunday evening, and she was just in time to celebrate her birthday which we did by a ‘surprise’ bonfire which was a great evening and we saw some great African and Tongan dancing around the fire!

I was sick a few times during March which was not fun, but I am very grateful for some amazing room mates and my lovely mama Jeanine who always made sure I was doing okay!

I had 3 lessons during March to teach the VTS (vocational training school) ballet which was very fun, they might not be pro’s and I think they thought I was trying to kill them but we did enjoy the time and it was a great opportunity for me to share some more western culture rather than the normal tribal dancing!

Pre-school continued to inspire and challenge me, I got to continue to teach song time and by the end of the month the kids had a whole load of new song and actions that we loved to sing every day! I also taught the Bible  section of the kids day a couple of times which is an challenging for me as the children to struggle to listen to me talk for a long period because of understanding my accent, however I love being able to see the children learn and grow. I successfully completed the task for hand writing the letters A-Z in all of the children’s books, the letters were all written out 8 times with 3 words for the kids to copy. I also had to draw lines into the books- it was a beyond time consuming task, however I see it was one of the best ways of serving however boring it means that the teachers can get on and teach and the children sit around so much less that’s what allows me to go on, knowing that it makes a difference.

The end of March saw me preparing of my move up to Soroti. My last few days of pre-school were sad and I just sat and cuddled the kids who were climbing all over me! We had some great song times and danced around singing loudly without a care in the world. I just loved being able to be so care free with the kids, showing them about the simple joys in life! I certainly will miss them and the teachers who I had a lovely meal with my last day there- Ugandan’s sure do know how to bless people!

I was sent on my way to Soroti with some wonderful prayers and blessings from the Hopeland community and the YFG’ers who I had a lovely last meeting with (which include juice and cake) I’m going to miss my friends, room mates and family from Jinja so so much, but I am excited for this next adventure that you will start to hear about very soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment