Monday 23 April 2012

life's unfair?

In the last 2 weeks a lot of stuff has happened, and it’s got me thinking how much we say life’s unfair, but is it???


In the 2 weeks 2 newborn babies arrived Stephen and Blessing, they were both less than 1 day old when they arrived at Amecet and both lost their mothers shortly after birth- now that not fair. This however meant that for a week now I have had the privilege of holding feeding and changing newborn babies, not something you get to do on an everyday basis. In a couple of months hopefully these babies will go back to other family member who are willing to love and care for them.

2 Tuesdays ago I took a trip into the middle of know where to see a girl who used to live at Amecet. We had to make a 2 hr journey part of which was along a dug up mud track and the cars wheels on the left were on ground at least 50cm higher than the right! The journey was bumpy and exhausting because there isn’t the development of proper roads, now that doesn’t seem fair. However Naome who we visited is doing well she is enjoying school and getting a good education and was super excited by our visit and the gifts we were able to take her!

A week ago Catherine was adopted, she had been at Amecet for a couple of months after she was almost killed due to the neglect and abuse of her family, she was starved and poisoned. Now that sure isn’t fair.  She now has a home with a family who love her very very much it was a happy to see her go however I will miss her little face!

I did my second night shift, it was busy lots of the children had fevers or weren’t drinking well so by morning I was exhausted. Now what’s not fair, the fact that I’m tired or that the children are sick? What is exciting though is that I got the (somewhat scary) task of deciding to give a child medicine and hearing the peace as they slept the rest of the night!

The girls here have been asking me lots about England recently and what it’s like, they want to her all about the machines we have that they believe we use for everything (well we almost do) and they love hearing about family life and out houses. Then I compare what I left to what I’ve come too, the fact that my bedroom is bigger than houses that I’ve seen, now how is that fair?

And these past few days? Well I’ve been sick, I got malaria and it sucked, I vomited and had a fever, I had injections that mad me feel I was being stabbed again every step I took. I thought I was better and realised how much I’d missed being with the kids, so I let Rose sleep on my hand (so clearly I had to lie on the floor with her) and Rafael climbed all over my back- a bit like a massage! And then mu stomach got worse and I ache and I’m back in bed. Now this doesn’t seem fair!

But because I’ve been lying in bed I’ve had time to reflect and think about it, and yes it does seem like life is unfair, the world is unfair and it’s all just this big mess. But unfairness creates these wonderful opportunities and lessons to learn. We view unfairness as negative but instead grasp the opportunity to make a difference and see the joy that can result when we step into try and make sense of even the tiniest part of that mess!


No comments:

Post a Comment