Saturday 8 October 2011

Take a deep breath week 6 was a busy one!

So sorry this post has taken a while! Internet went down at the weekend again because a wire has been missing! It's hard to think back on what has been happening actually!
We had our Holy Spirit week starting on the 26th lectures felt like RS lessons at times with discussions about the trinity and all the omni words! On Wednesday Ella came down to Hopeland, she is a Year For God student that started in February and is on her placement in Soroti at Amacet orphanage, talking to her has really confirmed to me that I want to go up and do that so come January I plan to head up there for at least 3 months of my placement and then I will come back here (to Hopeland) and finish up my time at the pre-school!
Thursday was my birthday!!!!! It was a very emotional day! I had a pile of cards that had been sent from home which was really nice but did make me miss home a bit! But the girls then did a really good job of cheering me up with chocolate and other gifts which was very very sweet of them and I love them so much for it! We also got a cake at fellowship at Tim and Jackie's which was AMAZING (thanks Ella!) I also got to skype mum and dad on my birthday for like a whole hour which was really nice and such a birthday blessing PTL.
Friday... what a day! We concluded holy spirit week with a baptism of the spirit, and that was quiet an amazing time, to start with our leaders were totally humbling and washed our muddy, smelly feet! And we spent some time in worship, God just really moved in that time, people had their eyes opened to Gods heart and other people received deliverance from things like lies which had taken hold of them and how they viewed themselves, the enemy really stood no chance at that time!
As for me, I had spent the morning session sitting in prayerful, tearful worship as I committed everything I have, had and will be over to God. Letting go of anything is hard and although I'd thought that coming to Uganda was the end of me holding on to my plans it has become increasingly obvious over the last few weeks that I am still holding on to a lot. I have to admit that I left that morning session rather annoyed because I felt like God hadn't worked in my life, it's like I was giving and giving but God wasn't hearing me or I wasn't hearing him (much more likely) but the main point was that I just didn't understand why I didn't feel any different!
I sat through lunch, which we had as a DTS and was amazing food with chicken and beef, but I really couldn't enjoy my time I just felt mad and upset so I went back to the room and collapsed onto my bunk, what happened from here is hard to explain but what I can say is that after I don't know how long lying their crying with pins in needles in my head and this strange pain that I felt was consuming me and people surrounding me in prayer I finally sat up feeling like a different person, in fact feeling more like me! It was like I'd been freed and released from the person who was trying to live my life! I know that probably sounds odd but I don;t know how else to describe it! God had really worked in my life, I knew it this time for sure, I had my breakthrough and and it was amazing! Now don't get me wrong this was no quick fix, I know that I still have to continue committing myself and my life to God, I also know that I have to continue in prayer asking God to work on my character and turn me into the person he wants me to be. But for the first time in what seems like forever I feel like I’m facing in the right direction and what's funny (sort of) is that it wasn't until this happened that I even realised I had been facing the wrong one! So yes life is pretty good right now, in some ways it's got harder because being more 'myself' has made me realise how much further I still have to go and has also made me feel more homesick (prayer hint) but all I can do is glorify God for this, and to celebrate (well actually my birthday) we went...
WHITE WATER RAFTING!!!!!!!! yeahhhh I can officially say that I have swam I the river Nile! And been thrown into it by a 6ft wave! I had the life scared out of me but it was so so much fun and when we actually made it through a category 5 rapid without being flipped out of the raft I think our whole boat was pretty chuffed! However floating down the rapids was also pretty sweet (thank God for life jackets!) we also got some great food that day! Lunch was chibatti wraps- I had salami, ham, cheese and ketchup in mine :D I don't think I have ever been so excited to eat that type of meal that we would class as 'basic' at home!
Sunday we continued the birthday celebrations with Chinese food :) which was lush :) although I did have to move seats at one point as rain started coming through the ceiling in the middle of the massive storm! I also got to chat to some of the lovely people of Christ Church Billericay, unfortunately I couldn't skype them but it was lovely to chat to people and really made my day :)

Oh and I forgot about the party on Friday! To celebrate the birthday that month we had a 'surprise' party in the DTS classroom, what I find funny is in Uganda when it's your birthday they call you baby, I don't think I will ever find it normal for everyone to be saying to me 'we have a baby in the house' but I do like the fact that in this culture they only cut up and hand out half the cake and you get to eat the rest of it!!!!! how amazing is that- I might be remembering for my next birthday!

Now I’m pretty sure this is the longest post I’ve written yet and I do hope you haven't died of hunger or boredom before reading this sentence, but for now I will leave you and write about this weeks adventures another time!

No comments:

Post a Comment